Font Size
-A A +A
Search Search

Health Premises

Share this:

Girl relaxing in a spa

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, Registered Premises are considered to be the following:

  • Hairdresser

  • Beauty therapy

  • Tattooist

  • Skin penetration

  • Colonic irrigation.

The businesses listed above, and any others involving penetration of the skin, must be registered with Council.

Registration requirements

Application to Register a Registered Premises

Premises that conduct hairdressing only (no waxing or other beauty therapy activities) can apply for a once-off ongoing registration. All other registered premises are required to register annually from 1 January to 31 December. As part of the registration requirements, an Environmental Health Officer will assess your premises on an annual basis to ensure compliance with the relevant standards.

Before opening for business you are required to complete the registration process. To do so, you will need to lodge the following with Council:

  1. Registered Premises Registration Form
  2. Applicable registration fee
  3. Detailed floor plan of the premises drawn to scale of not less than 1:100 and showing the proposed use of each area/room.

If you are purchasing an existing health premises, you must apply to transfer the Public Health and Wellbeing Act Registration before settlement. This is the responsibility of both parties.

Purchasing an existing health premises

Application to Transfer a Registered Premises

Request a for Pre-Transfer Inspection

If you are purchasing an existing Health Premises, then a transfer of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act Registration needs to occur. This can be done by submitting the above transfer form to Council’s Environmental Health Department and paying the nominated fee. If you have not yet purchased the business, it is strongly recommended that you request an inspection of the premises prior to settlement. This will identify any outstanding orders that may exist on the premises, which will ultimately become your responsibility after settlement. The Request for a Pre-Transfer Inspection form can be used for this purpose.

Other Council Department Requirements

Please contact Council’s Planning and Building Departments on (03) 5220 7111 to ascertain if any additional requirements are applicable.

Further Information

 For further information regarding Public Health and Wellbeing Act registration, contact Councils Environmental Health Unit on (03) 5220 7111 or email

Back to Environmental Health 

Rate this Page

Page Last Updated:

Monday, 9 July 2018 - 4:09pm


Council acknowledges the traditional Wadawurrung owners of this land. Council pays its respects to Wadawurrung Elders both past and present and extends that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People who are part of Golden Plains Shire.