The Youth Activation Committee (YAC) is a committed group of young people aged 12 to 25 years who provide the Youth Development team and rest of the Golden Plains Shire with valuable insights into the needs, opinions, strengths and challenges of young people across Golden Plains.
The YAC offers guidance on the activation of the Golden Plains Youth Hub, programming ideas, issues of concern and will also run projects each year to improve the wellbeing and resilience of other young people.
Being part of the YAC provides young people with the opportunity for social connection, development of leadership skills and an avenue to advocate and influence on issues that are important to them.
The YAC meets each Tuesday afternoon during the school term from 4 to 5.30pm.
- YAC will aim to maintain a diverse committee, comprised of young people from across the expanse of Golden Plains.
- YAC will provide a platform where young people’s voices can reach the ears of decision makers, members will do this by listening to their peers; who hold the key to issues that are important to Golden Plains Young People.
- Members will meet once a week during school terms online or in person, to lead their own planning of events and advocacy that make will make a positive difference to our Golden Plains Community.
- YAC hopes to present a report to Council twice yearly to provide Councillors with contemporary information important to Golden Plains Young people.
- YAC members are asked to join for a minimum of two years, with the option to extend based on places
- YAC will provide a consultive service for Council and external organisations to advise a youth perspective on issues and planning documents
- YAC will provide its members with leadership development and opportunities to build professional networks
- You must live, work or attend school in Golden Plains Shire
- Be 12 to 24 years at the time of application
- You must be available to attend 8o% of meetings, which are held both online and in person (however we aim to be as flexible as possible to promote inclusivity)
- Submit Parent/Guardian consent if under 18
- Have a valid working with children’s check if over 18, or obtain as soon as possible if turning 18 as a member
- Self-nominations are encouraged
How to Apply
- Fill out the online application form
- Phone, text or drop into the Youth Hub during service hours for assistance in completing your application
Operating out of the Golden Plains Youth Hub, Golden Plains Youth drop-in sessions are for young people aged 12 to 25 years. The sessions run from 3.30 to 6pm on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons, during the school term.
During drop-in session, healthy snacks are provided, and young people can get involved in a range of activities including, console gaming (Mario Kart battles), art and craft, listening to music, reading, study, playing a range of available musical instruments, kicking the footy or playing giant rainbow Jenga!
With youth workers always available to support young people, the Golden Plains Youth Hub is a safe and inclusive space for all.
The Golden Plains Youth Development Team offer a range of exciting and fun holiday programs designed in partnership with young people.
There are a diverse range of programs each school holidays, catering to different interests and abilities. Some of these activities may include, pop up BBQs, skate sessions, art and craft projects, music or technology programs and other activities including pathway programs such as barista skills or Responsible Service of Alcohol training.
All programs are safe and inclusive and supervised by staff from the Youth Development team.
FReeZA is a Victorian Government funded initiative that is supported by The Push Youth Music Organisation, that aims to provide young people aged 12 to 25 with the opportunity to plan and host events for other young people in their community, whilst gaining industry skills and experience.
The Golden Plains FReeZA Youth Events Crew meets every Thursday from 4 to 6pm at the Youth Hub to plan music, arts and cultural events with the support of a FReeZA worker.
FReeZA Youth Events Crew members have access to professional training provided by The Push and experiences that will develop their skills in event management, networking, the music and arts industry, and be provided performance and staging opportunities.
The Golden Plains Youth team welcomes all young people aged 12 to 25 interested in FReeZA to contact the Youth Development Team. No previous experience or skill is necessary - Come as you are!
The Golden Plains Youth Development Team are committed to providing programs and projects across Golden Plains Shire to engage young people in their local communities.
Council understand that young people belong to vast and varied towns across the Shire and it is essential that all young people are able to participate in services and programs no matter where they live.
The Youth Development team will work with communities and their young people to develop programs across the school terms for young people aged 12 to 25 to participate in. Programs may include art workshops, sports and recreation activities, hang out spaces and will always be designed to provide opportunities for social connection.
If you have an idea for a program that you would like run in your community, or can offer young people in your area a valued and fun experience, please contact the Youth Development team.
The Golden Plains Youth Development team recognises that pathways opportunities for young people across the Shire are limited and seek to address this by providing a range of accredited and non-accredited training, resume and job search support, life skills training and tertiary work placement to improve local young people’s pathways opportunities.
There will be an exciting new creative program starting soon. Register your interest in creative programs for young people by emailing [email protected]
Find Out More
For more information on any of Council's Youth Programs, contact the Youth Development Team at: 5220 7196 or [email protected]