Council Meeting Summary: September 2020
The September Meeting of Council for 2020 was held via Zoom on Monday 21 September, with all Councillors in attendance. In line with new allowances from the Victorian Government due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the meeting was held virtually and livestreamed on Council’s YouTube page.
ASSEMBLY OF COUNCILLORS AND DELEGATES REPORT
The meeting began with the confirmation of the September Assembly of Councillors and Delegates Report.
P20-076 1805 ROKEWOOD-SHELFORD ROAD, ROKEWOOD
Council resolved to issue a Notice of Decision to grant a Planning Permit for the Use and Development of the land for a service station, creation of access to a Road Zone Category 1 and business identification sign subject to the conditions attached to the report.
AMENDMENT C87GPLA (INVERLEIGH STRUCTURE PLAN)
Council resolved to:
- Receive the Panel Report for Amendment C87gpla noting the recommendations contained within.
- Amend and adopt the Inverleigh Structure Plan 2019 as shown in Attachment 1, in accordance with the recommendations of the Panel as follows:
- Abandon the exhibited changes to Clause 21.07-5 (Inverleigh).
- Amend Clause 11.03-6L consistent with Council’s final version of the Clause (with the exception of the ‘Bushfire management strategies’).
Amend the Schedule to Clause 72.08 (Background documents) to include reference to the ‘Inverleigh Structure Plan Review (Golden Plains Shire, 2019)’ and delete reference to the ‘Inverleigh Structure Plan Review (Connell Wagner, 2005)’ consistent with Council’s final version of the Clause.
3. Adopt Amendment C87gpla as shown in Attachment 2, in accordance with the recommendations of the Panel Report.
4. Request the Minister for Planning to approve Amendment C87gpla in accordance with Section 31(1) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
AMENDMENT C93GPLA – REVISED LAND SUBJECT TO INUNDATION OVERLAY - BATESFORD
Council resolved to request the Minister for Planning to prepare, adopt and approve Amendment C93gpla without notice under section 20(4) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
AUTHORISED STREET TREE GUIDE
Council resolved to note the development of the Approved Street Tree Guide, developed to aid Council staff, residents and developers in selecting suitable street trees.
GOLDEN PLAINS SHIRE COUNCIL ANNUAL REPORT – PART1
Council resolved to:
- Endorse the Golden Plains Shire Council 2019-20 Annual Report - Part 1.
- Note that the final version of the Golden Plains Shire Council 2019-20 Annual Report, accompanied by the audited Financial Statements, will be presented to the November Council meeting for adoption.
REVIEW OF INSTRUMENT OF APPOINTMENT AND AUTHORISATION - PLANNING AND ENVIRONMENT ACT 1987
Council, in the exercise of the powers conferred by s313 of the Local Government Act 2020 and the legislation referred to in the Instrument of Appointment and Authorisation (‘the instrument’), resolved that:
- The members of Council staff referred to in the instrument as shown in Attachment 1 be appointed and authorised as set out in the instrument.
- The Chief Executive Officer is authorised to execute the instrument by affixing the common seal in accordance with Council’s Governance Rules of 2020, Council Meeting Procedures and Common Seal.
- The instrument comes into force immediately upon execution and remains in force until Council determines to vary or revoke it.
- The previous instrument dated 28 July 2020 is revoked.
GOVERNANCE RULES - CONSIDERATION OF REVIEW
Council resolved to:
- Note the Council Resolution of 25 August 2020 that required a report back to the 21 September 2020 Council Meeting to consider a further review of the Governance Rules.
- Do not proceed with a review of the Governance Rules at this time.
FINANCE QUARTER FOUR REPORT
Council resolved to note the Quarterly Finance Report for the 12 months ended 30 June 2020.
IN-PRINCIPLE PERFORMANCE STATEMENT AND IN-PRINCIPLE FINANCIAL STATEMENTS 2019-2020
Council resolved to note:
- The Audit and Risk Committee having delegated power to act, and in accordance with Section 132 of the Local Government Act (1989), approved in principle the Performance Statement and Financial Statements, and submit the statements to the auditor for reporting on the audit.
- That due to External Audit’s positive outcomes in the Management letter, the Audit and Risk Committee recommended the 2019/20 financial statements to be certified.
- As authorised by Council, the Mayor and Cr Rowe, as Council representatives of the Audit and Risk Committee, certified the Performance Statement and Financial Statements.
- The attached 2019/20 financial and performance statements, and
- The delay with the external audit process as advised by the Victorian Auditor-General’s Office (VAGO) due to COVID-19.
AUDIT & RISK COMMITTEE REPORT - 8 SEPTEMBER 2020
Council received the Audit & Risk Committee report from the meeting of 8 September 2020.
RESERVE ROAD ROKEWOOD BRIDGE REPLACEMENT - TENDER GPSC-RFT-05-2020
- Resolved to award Tender GPSC-RFT-05-2020 to construct the Reserve Road Bridge Replacement, Rokewood to Begbies Contracting for the sum of $393,583.86 (excluding GST).
- Note that the earthworks associated with road approaches up to and including the abutments, are to be carried out by Council’s in-house Works team, as separable works additional to the contract sum.
- Note that any unspent funds from the approved Local Roads and Community Infrastructure grant for this project, will be reallocated to the Meredith – Shelford Road widening project, as per Council resolution of 28 July 2020.
OUTGOING MAYORAL AND END OF COUNCIL TERM SPEECHES
Council noted the outgoing Mayoral speech from Cr Owen Sharkey, Mayor 2019 – 2020 and the speeches of Councillors on their four-year Council term.
RECOGNITION OF RETIRING COUNCILLORS
Council recognised and acknowledged the commitment and achievements of retiring Councillors Phelan and Evans for their service on Council.
The Council meeting for the election of the Mayor will be held on 17 November and the next monthly meeting of Council will be held on 24 November 2020. Both meetings will be available by livestream.
Watch the September 2020 Meeting of Council
Watch the recording of the September 2020 Meeting of Council.