Font Size
-A A +A
Search Search

Planning Permits

Share this:

Person on a computer

Golden Plains Shire Council is a Responsible Authority under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 for the administration and enforcement of the Golden Plains Planning Scheme. The control of land use and development through the planning scheme is one of the most important tools available to Council in implementing its planning policies and strategies.

Council's Planning Team provides information and advice about when a planning permit is required and the process involved. Planning officers will consider whether or not to grant a planning permit, and what conditions are appropriate. Some planning applications are referred to a Council meeting for a decision.

Many types of uses and development require a planning permit, including (but not limited to):

  • Clearing or lopping of native vegetation;
  • Building a house or a shed;
  • Establishing a business (including working from home);
  • Industrial or Commercial development;
  • Keeping animals;
  • Subdivision

Planning permit forms and fees can be found below. It is recommended that you contact Council's Planning Team to determine if your proposal requires a planning permit; please contact us.


Planning Register

Council’s online planning register is available and updated weekly. 

02.07.2020 Online Town Planning Register.pdf

Should you wish to receive a copy of a planning permit application, an up-to-date version of the planning register or copies of objections lodged against a planning permit application, please contact us.

Applying for a new planning permit 

Where do I get a copy of title?

When lodging a planning permit application you must provide us with a full, current (no older than 60 days) copy of title for each parcel of land that is part of the subject site. You can get a copy of title from LandData by following these steps:

1. Select Title & property certificates (under Title & Property Information)

2. Enter the address of the land and confirm property details

3. Tick the boxes to Register search statement and Copy of plan

4. Select next and follow the prompts. 

Note: If a covenant or Section 173 Agreement applies to the land, be sure to request a copy of all of these documents to submit with your application. 

If you need assistance, call LandData on (03) 9102 0402 or speak to your solicitor or conveyancer for help. 

VicSmart planning permit process

VicSmart is a streamlined planning process for straightforward applications. The planning scheme identifies what classes of application are suitable for VicSmart and specifies what information is required to be provided, assessment processes and decision guidelines.

Key features of VicSmart include:

  • A decision is expected to be made within 10 business days
  • Applications are exempt from advertising
  • An applicant is expected to submit all necessary information with the application including any referral authority approval before lodging the application with council.

Eligible applications

Not all applications are eligible for the VicSmart process. For more detailed information about the process, including application types and information requirements, visit the VicSmart website.

Applying to amend or extend a planning permit that has already been issued

Applying for secondary consent

Submitting plans to comply with permit conditions

The above form is to be submitted to Council along with the supporting plans and information. This form relates to amended plans required by the planning permit or any other information required to be approved/endorsed as a result of planning permit conditions, for example landscaping plans.

Planning information request

Certificate of compliance

Under section 97N of the Planning and Environment Act 1987, you may apply to the responsible authority for a certificate stating that an existing use or development of the land complies with the requirements of the planning scheme at the date of the certificate, or a certificate stating that a proposed use or development of the land would comply with the requirements of the planning scheme at the date of the certificate.

To apply, please read the information on the certificate of compliance form. Complete and submit the form along with supporting documentation and applicable fee and the application will be assessed.

Planning application fees

Frequently asked questions

1. Do I need a planning permit?

Whether you need a planning permit or not will depend on the zone in which your land is located, whether any overlays apply to your land or if the development is subject to any particular provisions. This information can be found in the Golden Plains Planning Scheme, or you can contact the Planning Team to discuss your proposal.

2. How do I apply for a planning permit?

If you require a planning permit, you will need to:

  • Complete an application form.
  • Provide appropriate supporting information. This will vary depending on the type of application. A planner can provide more specific advice.
  • Provide a recent copy of title (produced within the last 60 days) and any covenants and/or agreements applying to the land.
  • Provide plans showing the proposed development. This will include a site layout plan, internal layout plan and elevations. All plans must be legible and to scale.  
  • Ensure that the existing or proposed property access points are identified on plans.  
  • The application can be submitted once all information is collated and it will be checked by a planner before the application is accepted and opened.
  • Council will contact you for payment of the fee.

If your proposal is complex, or if you are not sure what information you need to submit with your application, it is recommended that you arrange a pre-application meeting with a planner. Please contact Customer Service for more information.

3. What is a pre-application meeting?

The purpose of a pre-application meeting is to provide potential applicants with an opportunity to meet with Council's Planning Officers to discuss a proposal and to obtain information about the Golden Plains Planning Scheme and the planning process. Additional information about the pre-application process can be found here.

4. How long will it take to assess a planning permit application?

The length of time to assess a planning permit application will depend on the complexity of the proposal.  Other factors which impact on timeframes include whether or not any referrals and advertising are required and if objections are received. Referral bodies include, but are not limited to, the water authority, electricity provider, the CFA, VicRoads and/or internal referrals. Providing all necessary supporting information at lodgement will hasten the assessment process.

5. What is the process?

If Council believes that your proposal may have a detrimental impact upon surrounding residents, such as your neighbours, you may be required to give notice of your proposal. The advertising required may involve sending a notice to the neighbours, placing a notice on the site or a notice in the newspaper.

In response to the advertising, neighbours may object to the proposal. These objections must state how the proposal will affect them. Council must take into account the concerns raised in objections. Council may arrange a consultation meeting to attempt to resolve any concerns.

In some circumstances, Council may be required under the Planning Scheme to refer your application to statutory authorities. Referral authorities have 28 days to respond to a referral, provided the applicant has given sufficient information.

Council will decide to either approve or refuse an application. Applicants and objectors have an opportunity to appeal a decision within the specified timeframes if they are not satisfied. Appeals are dealt with by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

Section 173 Agreements - Preparing an Agreement

Section 173 Agreements are a legal agreement that are binding on Council and other parties to the Agreement. It is at the discretion of the owner as to who they engage to prepare the Agreement, however a review/checking fee will be incurred if the Agreement is drawn up by a firm other than Harwood Andrews. Council has engaged Harwood Andrews to check Agreements and to register Agreements to Title. Costs and expenses incurred in association with the checking and review of 173 Agreements must be borne by the applicant.

You may choose to use Harwood Andrews to draw up the Agreement and avoid the checking fee.

For more information contact Clare McKenna by email at, by phone on 5226 8533, or via their online portal at

Restrictive Covenants

A restrictive covenant is a private treaty or written agreement that runs with a parcel of land and restricts the way that land can be developed. An information sheet on Restrictive Covenants can be found here.

Existing Use Rights

Existing use occurs when your land is being used in a legal way, either with an approved permit or an approved use where a permit is not required, and the planning controls now in place prohibit that use. An information sheet on Existing Use Rights can be found here.


Council regularly receives queries in relation to the construction or extension of dams. An information sheet on dams can be found here.

Useful guidelines, forms and codes

 If you have questions or would like to discuss a permit, please contact us

My Home

Rate this Page

Page Last Updated:

Thursday, 2 July 2020 - 2:09pm


Council acknowledges the traditional Wadawurrung owners of this land. Council pays its respects to Wadawurrung Elders both past and present and extends that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People who are part of Golden Plains Shire.