The section of driveway (also known as a crossover or vehicle crossing) between a property boundary and the kerb, edge of bitumen or gravel road, is the responsibility of the property owner.

Download our Driveways factsheet

How do I know if I need a permit?

All new and replacement driveway crossovers will need a Works within Road Reserve Permit. This permit can be obtained from one of our Customer Service Centers in Bannockburn or Linton or can be downloaded from our website. A Permit must be obtained prior to any works commencing. A permit fee applies. Council needs to complete a site inspection once the site is prepared, prior to pouring of cement.

Types of crossovers

Two standard crossovers which can be used are an Urban driveway and Rural driveway. Find more about them below. You can see drawings of Vehicle Crossing Designs [here] or [on our website].

Urban Driveway

This is used where kerb and channel already exists. Residential crossovers must be constructed in accordance

with the Infrastructure Design Manual (IDM) Standard Drawings (SD235 & SD240). This will consist of 125mm

thick concrete with SL72 mesh on a compacted crush rock base. All concrete is to be 25 MPA strength.

Existing footpath if not strengthened, will need to be removed and replaced to the above specifications.

Rural Driveway

Where roads are constructed with no kerb and channel there is likely to be a table drain. This type of road construction is typical in rural areas. All rural crossovers are to be constructed in accordance with the IDM Standard Drawings (SD255 & SD260).

In most cases, Council will approve the use of a minimum 375mm diameter concrete pipe with endwalls as specified in the Standard Drawings and backfilled with crushed rock to form a driveway to gain access to a property. Large capacity table drains may require engineer designs for stormwater if 375mm concrete pipe capacity is exceeded.

What is the difference between crossovers, vehicle crossings and driveways?

There isn’t one – they are just different terms for the same thing.

Council is seeking to minimise the number and width of them throughout the Shire to enhance liveability, amenity and safety of the public.

Unnecessary vehicle crossings result in a loss of on-street parking, which can reduce pedestrian safety and harm our environment by increasing stormwater runoff. They also affect the character and amenity of our streets.

How can a vehicle crossing reduce pedestrian safety?

Vehicle crossings create potential conflict between pedestrians, (particularly young children and the elderly), cyclists and cars. They interrupt the flow of street traffic, be it the movement of pedestrians, cyclists or motorists.

If you are planning a multi-unit development, remember, a single vehicle crossing with a shared driveway and on-site turning area provides greater safety for our community than a single vehicle crossing and driveway for each dwelling, as cars can enter and exit the site in a forward direction.

Let’s improve resident safety in our Shire by minimising the crossing width and number of locations where a vehicle can cross the footpath into private property.

How can vehicle crossing impact on the character of my street?

Hard paved surfaces in front yards and the loss of open space and opportunities for streetscape planting can result in an unwelcoming environment. This will also reduce the amount of parking within your street.

Rate this page

Is this page useful?