Changing the use of a building

Find out about what you need to do if you want to change the use of an existing building. 

A building permit is required if you are changing the use of an existing building, for example, converting a carport garage into a new room such as a rumpus room, living room or bedroom; a dwelling into a shop or office; the rear of a shop to a dwelling; or a shed into a dwelling.

When changing the use of a building, the building surveyor needs to consider whether the change is suitable for the proposed new use.

Additional works may be necessary, such as:

  • Insulation of walls and ceilings 
  • Smoke alarms 
  • Portable fire extinguishers 
  • Exit signs 
  • Ramp access 
  • Accessible toilet facilities.

A planning permit may also be required for changing the use of a building, and must be obtained before a building permit can be issued. 

Contact our Building and Planning Departments on 5220 7111 to discuss your change of use plans before you begin any works.

Demolition and removal

If you are demolishing a building or removing part of it, you will need to apply for a consent to demolish or remove. In some cases you will also need to apply for a planning permit.

  • The application for a 29A Report and Consent application to demolish or remove a building (refer to the Building Forms page on the website), with the relevant documentation and the applicable application fee can be submitted through Council's online building portal here. You only need to register once to access the portal.

Back to Building

A girl and guy looking at a building plan

Rate this page

Is this page useful?