Draft Budget 2023/24
What we’re planning to deliver in the year ahead!
Each year, Council develops its annual budget which outlines how resources are prioritised to deliver important and relevant programs to the community. The draft budget also incorporates the major initiatives identified by the Council as priorities in the Council Plan 2021-2025, to be undertaken during the next financial year.
Council greatly values community feedback and insights. We are lucky to have an engaged and passionate community who have a deep well of knowledge and lived experience. This experience allows Council to have a greater understanding of diverse points of view, values, concerns and priorities. Council regards these attributes as a fundamental element of council decision making and essential to good governance.
Council has implemented a multi-phased approach as it works on crafting its 2023/24 budget. Understanding resident priorities will help Council develop a financially responsible budget, while continuing to deliver services and projects that are most important to the community.
Have Your Say: Council Budget 2023/24 Community Survey
The Council Budget 2023/24 survey references the Golden Plains Shire Community Vision 2040 and Council Plan 2021-2025 themes of Community, Liveability, Sustainability, Prosperity and Leadership. The strategic objectives for these themes are listed below for reference.
Strategic Objective 1: COMMUNITY
- Safe, resilient and proud communities
- Celebrating and connecting communities
- Community participation, engagement and ownership
- Valuing community diversity and inclusion
Strategic Objective 2: LIVEABILITY
- Connected and accessible roads, crossings, paths and transport
- Supporting healthy and active living
- Provide for a diversity lifestyle and housing options
- Attractive and well-maintained infrastructure and public spaces
Strategic Objective 3: SUSTAINABILITY
- Valuing and protecting nature, cultural heritage and the environment
- Effective and responsive waste service and education
- Responsibly maintaining and managing natural landscapes and resources
- Mitigating climate change and promoting clean/green technology
Strategic Objective 4: PROSPERITY
- Education, learning and skill development
- Supporting local producers, agriculture and business
- Improved options for shopping, hospitality, tourism and events
- Local employment and training
- Partnerships, advocacy and opportunities for investment
Strategic Objective 5: LEADERSHIP
- Information and engagement to involve community in decision making
- Accountable and transparent governance and financial management
- Responsive service delivery supported by systems, resources and an engaged workforce
- Planning, advocating and innovating for the future
Residents were invited to have their say on the Council Budget 2023/24 by completing the online survey from Tuesday 14 February to Wednesday 8 March, 2023.