Community Engagement Strategy 2016 to 2020
In August 2016, Council adopted its first Community Engagement Strategy and Action Plan (2016-2020), as part of its commitment to improve its community consultation and engagement practices.
Between November 2015 and August 2016 community members, Councillors, and Council staff were involved in a number of opportunities to participate and provide input into the development of the Community Engagement Strategy and Action Plan. Feedback gathered along the way was considered and used to guide the setting of key actions within the Strategy.
How were people involved?
- A Community Engagement Survey was undertaken during November 2015 – February 2016. The survey was available online and a hard copy survey was sent to ratepayers across the Shire. Hard copies of the survey were also available at key locations across the Shire and promoted through social media, the Gazette, media releases, and the Mayor’s message in Community Newsletters.
- A number of workshops were delivered for Councillors, Staff and the Community to provide input at key stages through the development of the Strategy and Action Plan.
- A randomly selected Community Engagement Reference Group was established with 29 community members from across the Shire.
- The draft Community Engagement Strategy and Action Plan went out for public comment during June 2016. One submission was received and an amendment was made in response to the recommendation.
- 820 residents responded to the Community Engagement Survey between November 2015 and February 2016
- 29 community members from across the Shire participated in a Community Reference Group to input into the development of the Strategy, coming together at key stages of the project
- over 120 Golden Plains Shire Council staff participated in sessions to contribute to the Strategy
- 7 elected representatives (Mayor and Councillors) contributed to the development of the Strategy
- 1 community members submitted a recommendation during the Public Comment phase of the draft Community Engagement Strategy and Action Plan throughout July 2016
Council would like to sincerely thank everyone who participated in the development of the Strategy. The feedback Council received was instrumental to the development of the Community Engagement Strategy and Action Plan 2016-2020.
What happens next?
The Community Engagement Strategy 2016-2020 (Part A) and the Community Engagement Strategy Action Plan 2016-2020 (Part B) were formally adopted by Council in the Ordinary Council meeting on 23 August 2016.
Council will now work to implement the actions over the course of the next four years as outlined in the Action Plan and will provide annual updates on progress.
Council will continue to work towards improving its Community Engagement practice and provide greater opportunities for community to be more actively involved in shaping Council decisions.
Please continue to visit our Have Your Say and Facebook pages and look out for Council’s Gazette every two months to find out about how you can participate in future projects.