Budget 2018 19
The final Budget was adopted by Council on 26 June 2018, and included a number of amendments in response to feedback from the 34 community members who provided input via the Section 223 Submission Process in May 2018.
This Budget seeks to maintain and improve services and infrastructure as well as deliver projects and services that are valued by our community, within the 2.25% rate increase mandated by the State Government.
After making the document available for public inspection and inviting submissions under Section 223 of the Local Government Act, Council received a total of 34 submissions, addressing a total of 7 issues. A Special Meeting of Council was held on Tuesday 12 June 2018 to hear from three of the five submitters who requested to address Council in support of their submission.
In response to those submitters, Council adopted the final budget at its meeting on 26 June 2018 with the following amendment to the exhibited draft budget:
- Reduction of the daily child care rate from $135/day to $123/day until 31 December 2018 and align future reviews with the calendar year;
- Reduction of the “five day” childcare fee from $635/week (equivalent $127/day), to $565/week (equivalent $113/day);
- Reduction of the expected child care occupancy rate from 93% to 86%;
- Cutting projects, staffing and resourcing (refer Issue 1) to cover the expected $264k reduction in income from child care so that there is no change to the bottom line of the exhibited budget; and
- Amending the proposed funding sources for the floor replacement of the Haddon Stadium ($250k) to show – proposed Government grant $125k and Council funds $125k.
For more information, you can view the public submissions, and Council's response here.
What Happens Next
Council prepares quarterly reports on both the Budget and the Council Plan, which are presented at Council meetings, and are public documents which can be found here.
Mon 30 April 2018: Draft Budget and updated Council Plan available for viewing and submissions open
Mon 28 May 2018: Written submissions close
Tue 12 June 2018, 6pm: Oral submissions presented at Special Council Meeting
Tue 12 June 2018, 7pm: Council confidential briefing to consider all 34 submissions
Tue 26 June 2018, 6pm: Budget and updated Council Plan adopted