Community Safety Officers and Local Laws

Community Safety Officers

Council’s Community Safety Officers undertake a number of duties regarding the enforcement and compliance with, but not limited to the Domestic Animals Act, Environment Protection Act, Country Fire Authority Act, the Impounding of Livestock Act and Council's Local Laws.

While the majority of their contact with the community may be focused around domestic animal management and livestock issues, Council’s Community Safety Officers may be able to offer advice on a wide range of community safety issues.

While Community Safety Officers are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, outside of business hours their service is limited to emergency response, livestock out on Council roadsides and dog attacks.

For livestock out on Department of Transport and Planning roads (VicRoads) please call 13 11 70. 

Residents should refrain from calling and texting the Community Safety Officers on their mobile phones as these are not monitored afterhours or the officer may be on leave. To seek the services of a Community Safety Officer, please contact Council on 5220 7111.


Local Laws

The main objective of Golden Plains Shire Council’s Local Law is to protect the amenity of the Shire, and the health and safety of the community. Other councils have their own Local Laws.

The Local Law is available to read on the link below, with printed copies available on request at Council’s Customer Hubs as 2 Pope Street, Bannockburn and 19 Heales Street, Smythesdale.

Read the Local Law No. 1


Motorbikes and motorised recreational vehicles 

Golden Plains Shire Council’s Local Law No. 1 – General Public Amenity 2021 allows limited use of motorbikes and motorised recreational vehicles on private land, between the hours of 10am and 6pm only. These rules are in place to balance to competing and different preferences of residents in the Shire.

When and where you can ride a Motorised Recreational Vehicle (MRV) on private land WITHOUT a permit:


How many Motorised Recreational Vehicle/s?

Duration of Riding per day

General Residential Zone

MRV’s must not be used in this zone

MRV’s must not be used in this zone

Township Zone

Maximum of 2 MRV’s

One session per day for a maximum of one hour

Low Density Residential Zone

Maximum of 2 MRV’s

One session per day for a maximum of one hour

Rural Living Zone

Maximum of 2 MRV’s

One session per day for a maximum of two hours

Rural Conservation Zone

Maximum of 2 MRV’s

One session per day for a maximum of two hours

Rural Activity Zone

Maximum of 2 MRV’s

One session per day for a maximum of two hours

Farming Zone

Maximum of 4 MRV’s

One session per day for a maximum of two hours

Time starts running when the first rider begins to ride. Any breaks are counted towards the time permitted. Therefore, if one motorbike rider begins riding at 10am and the second rider begins 20 minutes later, the second rider will only be permitted to ride for 40 minutes. Riding must end at 11am and no further riding is permitted until the following day at 10am.

If riding occurs in a zone where two hours of riding is permitted, if the first rider begins at 10am, riding must end at 12pm and no further riding is permitted until the following day at 10am.

Riding outside the permitted times / longer than permitted period / more riders than are permitted

Riding motorbikes outside the above time periods, or more bikes at any given time, is an infringeable offence, subject to 3 penalty units, pursuant to Council’s Local Law No. 1. Council can also issue a Notice to Comply to require parties to remedy the breach. Breach of a Notice to Comply is also an infringeable offence, subject to 5 penalty units. At time of publication, one penalty unity is $192.31.

Tips on dealing with neighbourhood disputes about use of motorbikes on private property

Often it is lack of knowledge of the restrictions which causes persons to breach the Local Law pertaining to use of motorbikes.

It is generally best to speak directly with your neighbour about your concerns, before reporting to Council. In addition to that it is often lack of knowledge that causes the behaviour, often the other person is also not aware of that their riding is impacting on others and is a source of irritation.

Keeping the conversation low key and pleasant with your neighbour, explaining the impact on you and proposing a way forward that may be satisfactory to both parties is more likely to ensure you can continue a positive relationship with your neighbour. Council involvement can often stir up negative feelings, increase conflict and can destroy long-term relationships and a peaceful co-existence.

Consider whether you can work together so that you and your neighbour may both enjoy your homes. For example: Can they let you know that they are planning on riding at a particular day or time so that you can make alternative arrangements if the noise impacts on you, your family members or on your animals?

If talking does not resolve the issue

If talking to your neighbour does not resolve the issue, or the relationship with your neighbour is already acrimonious due to unrelated conflict, reporting the breach to Council is the next step. Council will contact the neighbour, discuss the complaint with them and make them aware of the applicable Local Law restrictions. Most of the time, this is sufficient to resolve the issue.

If your neighbour is continuing to breach Council’s Local Law you should let Council know. You will be informed about next steps, including a requirement to keep a noise diary to be submitted to Council.

Conflict resulting in aggression and/or threatening behaviour

If the matter causes conflict with your neighbour and your neighbour becomes aggressive and/or threatening you are advised to call 000 if there is an immediate risk.

If your neighbour is aggressive, but you do not feel that you are at immediate risk and do not think you need to call 000, you are advised to report this at your local police station. Council is not able to assist with conflict between neighbours of this nature, regardless of that the source of conflict pertains to Council’s Local Law. Council may work together with police to speak with your neighbour, at a time arranged with the local police officer.

Rate this page

Is this page useful?