Font Size
-A A +A
Search Search

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: For the latest COVID-19 information and changes to Council services, click here.


Share this:

How to subdivide your land

If you want to subdivide your land you will need to engage the services of a licensed land surveyor. You can visit the Association of Consulting Surveyors Victoria or the Institute of Surveyors to help find a land surveyor.

Your land surveyor will be familiar with the steps in the subdivision process, however, to help you understand what’s involved, here is a short description of each step in the process.

Subdivision reference

Step 1: Apply for a planning permit to subdivide land

This gives you approval to subdivide land under the Planning and Environment Act 1987. The assessment under the planning permit process may involve notifying servicing authorities and if required the advertising of your proposal to adjoining landowners. If a permit is granted, it will outline specific conditions relating to the subdivision that must be met. Planning permit application forms, checklists and subdivision fees can be found here

Step 2: Apply for certification of the plan of subdivision

The certification process involves the approval of a plan showing lot sizes, dimensions, boundaries and any easements required. The plan of subdivision must be drawn up by a licensed land surveyor and submitted to council accompanied by the relevant information which includes:

  • Completed Form 1- Application for Certification
  • Certification Application Fee
  • Plan of Subdivision  

Council must refer the application for certification to any relevant servicing authorities including those who may have placed conditions on the planning permit. Referral authorities must advise Council in writing of their consent, refusal or of any required amendments. When authorities have consented to certification and all outstanding conditions listed under the planning permit for the subdivision have been met, the plan of subdivision can be certified by Council.

Prior to certification new street numbers will be allocated for all lots in the subdivision.

Step 3: Obtain a Statement of Compliance

A statement of compliance concludes the subdivision and allows for registration of the subdivision at the titles office and the release of new titles. A statement of compliance can only be issued one the plan has been certified and permit conditions are satisfied.

Referral authorities should be contacted directly to discuss the payment of levies or fees and or the provision of services to the new lots. The referral authorities will advise Council, in writing of their consent to the issuing of a statement of compliance. When all authorities, including Council have consented, a Form 21 -Statement of Compliance will be issued. The document advises the titles office that all conditions of the planning permit have been met and complied with.

Once a statement of compliance has been issued you will need to lodge it at the titles office along with the certified plan to enable the creation and release of individual titles for the lost in the subdivision.



More Information

Rate this Page

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Enter the characters shown in the image.

Page Last Updated:

Friday, 22 July 2016 - 1:54pm


Golden Plains Shire spans the Traditional lands of the Wadawurrung and Eastern Maar people. Council acknowledges them as the traditional Traditional Owners and Custodians of this land and pays its respects to Wadawurrung Elders and Eastern Maar Elders past, present and emerging. Council extends that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Ppeople who are part of Golden Plains Shire.