Font Size
-A A +A
Search Search


Share this:

Pig in a greenland

Stock on the road represents a significant danger to motorists. Any loose or wandering stock should be reported immediately.

Owners of stock should take care to ensure that fencing is property maintained.

Farm Animals

Farm animals are very popular with owners of small properties, whether you have a goat to keep the grass down or your kids have talked you in to having a pet pig.

There are council regulations and state legal requirements you must comply with if you own a farm animal.

Impounding Livestock

Council's Community Protection Officers respond to call outs relating to livestock on Council roads and highways. 

In line with the Impounding of Livestock Act 1994, Council can impound livestock and hold them for up to 7 days.  If your livestock are tagged correctly, Council will contact you to let you know that your livestock are loose.  If they are not tagged, Council has no option but to impound them until the owner contacts us or they are sold to recoup Council costs.  Please ensure your livestock are adequately contained to your property.

For further assistance please contact Community Safety on 5220 7111.

Council Local Laws

Council's General Public Amenity Local Law No. 2 limits the number of animals you can have within township residential areas. For example, on a low density residential block you can have ; without a permit, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 5 chooks, 1 rooster and 4 sheep. The allowance is limited to any four (4) types of animals and beyond that, you'll need a permit. Details on the number and types of animals allowed are in Local Law Part 3 - Animals. Contact Councils Community Safety team on 5220 7111 for further advice.

Animal Keeping on private land application form


Property Identification Codes (PICs)

The first thing you must do when you are looking to own cattle (cows), sheep, pigs, goats, alpacas, llamas, horses, deer or more than 100 poultry is apply for a Livestock Property Identification Code (PIC). 

PICs are free and easy to obtain through Agriculture Victoria’s Livestock PICs website.

PICs are important in the event of a serious livestock disease outbreak. They allow for the tracing of animals to detect where an outbreak may have started and to help control and eradicate disease.  PICs are also linked to systems such as the National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) and commercial operators will need a PIC to sell and move animals.

To find out more about PICS and to obtain yours, visit the Livestock PICs website.

Animals in Golden Plains


More Information

Rate this Page

Page Last Updated:

Wednesday, 10 July 2019 - 9:29am


Council acknowledges the traditional Wadawurrung owners of this land. Council pays its respects to Wadawurrung Elders both past and present and extends that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People who are part of Golden Plains Shire.