Disability Parking Permits
The Disabled Persons Parking Scheme is a state-wide scheme designed to help those people who need either extra space to get in or out of their vehicle or extra time to carry out activities. Permits are only issued by Council to residents of Golden Plains Shire. If you reside outside of Golden Plains Shire you must apply with the local council of the area you are living in.
Disability Parking Permits
Permits are only issued by Council to residents of Golden Plains Shire. If you reside outside of Golden Plains Shire you must apply with the local council of the area you are living in.
The first part of the application form must be filled in by the applicant or someone on their behalf. The remainder of the application form must be completed by a Specialist Medical Practitioner or Clinical Psychologist for intellectual disabilities, or a Medical Practitioner for all other disabilities.
Once the application has been completed return it to council in person, via mail or email.
Download a copy of the permit application here
Types of Disability Parking Permits
Under the Victorian Disabled Parking Scheme permits are valid for 3 years. When your permit is nearing expiration we will send you a reminder notice and instructions on how to renew. There are two categories of permit.
To be eligible for a Category 1 permit:
- Medical Practitioner must confirm that an individual has a significant ambulatory disability and they cannot access a vehicle in an ordinary parking bay, or they are required to use a complex walking aid* that prevents access to a vehicle in an ordinary parking bay, or
- a Medical Practitioner must confirm that an individual has either an acute or chronic illness in which minimal walking may endanger their health, or
- a Specialist Medical Practitioner or Clinical Psychologist must confirm that an individual is an extreme danger to themselves and others in a public place without assistance by a carer.
Where can you park with a Category 1 Permit?
Blue disabled parking bays
Park in a times normal parking area for twice the allowed time (for paid parking, you must pay for the original time)
To be eligible for a Category 2 permit:
- A Medical Practitioner must confirm that an individual has a significant ambulatory disability or severe illness which does not affect their ability to walk, however they require rest breaks when continuous walking is undertaken
Where can you park with a Category 2 Permit?
- You can park for twice the allowed time but you cannot park in spaces signed as disabled parking areas
Code types for disability parking permits
Within Categories One or Two, councils may issue permits as follows:
Code A (Driver – Blue) – driver with a permanent permit
Code B (Passenger – Blue) – passenger with a permanent permit
Code C (Commercial – Blue or Green) – for organisations
Code D (Temporary – Blue or Green) – for temporary permits
Temporary Disability Parking Permits
A Temporary Disability Parking Permit will be issued if a doctor confirms that you have a disability which is not permanent but will probably not improve in 6 months.
Displaying your permit
The permit must be displayed only when the vehicle is being used to transport the permit holder.
The permit must clearly be displayed so the permit number and expiry date can be seen from outside the vehicle.