Next Steps for the Teesdale Structure Plan
Following public consultation last year, the Teesdale Structure Plan 2020 has been endorsed by Golden Plains Shire Council.
At its April 2020 Ordinary Meeting, Council endorsed the Teesdale Structure Plan 2020 and authorised the public exhibition of a planning scheme amendment to incorporate the plan into the Golden Plains Shire Planning Scheme.
The new Teesdale Structure Plan will replace the existing plan, which dates back to 1997. Since then, Teesdale’s population has continued to increase, with the township growing from 1,479 to 1,664 residents between 2011 and 2016. The township’s growth rate has further increased in the last two years.
In preparing the new plan, Council undertook community consultation during a six week period, from 29 August to 20 October 2019. A total of 198 people completed the online and paper survey, or attended one of the two conversation posts held in the town.
Key components of the Structure Plan include:
- Reaffirming and providing clarity for a growth area to the north-east of the town, including identifying future zoning and specifying development requirements;
- Encouraging well designed infill development;
- Encouraging the development of commercial facilities within the existing Township Zoned area;
- A number of future actions for Council, in areas such as transport, infrastructure, and landscaping; and
- Not proposing any new growth areas outside the existing settlement boundary or any new commercial areas.
Council will now commence the preparation of a Planning Scheme Amendment to implement the Teesdale Structure Plan into the Golden Plains Planning Scheme. Further community consultation will be conducted through a formal exhibition process of the Amendment. Details of upcoming opportunities for the Teesdale community to comment on the Structure Plan will be advertised to residents and landowners in the coming months.
Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and restrictions, Council agreed at its April Ordinary Meeting to run the public exhibition process for longer than the statutory minimum period of 30 days.
The Teesdale Structure Plan 2020, as well as Community Engagement and Background reports, are available at goldenplains.vic.gov.au/residents/my-home/planning/strategic-planning.