Libraries and Community Centres Reopen
Following the easing of some COVID-19 restrictions by the Victorian Government last month, libraries and some community centres have today reopened to the public.
The Bannockburn Library at 25-27 High Street is open with shorter operating hours until normal hours resume from Monday 6 July. These temporary hours are:
- Monday: 10am to 1pm
- Tuesday to Friday: 10am to 5pm (closed from 1 to 2pm)
- Saturday: 10am to 1pm
- Sunday: Closed
The Golden Plains Mobile Library also resumes its full service this week, with all scheduled visits as usual, allowing for possible short delays due to a new cleaning protocol following every stop. The library timetable is available at grlc.vic.gov.au/locate/mobile-libraries.
With the health and wellbeing of the community and staff the top priority, the following protocols apply:
- A limited number of people will be allowed in each library at any one time
- Social distancing and strict hygiene rules will be in place as per Government directions
- Library branch visits limited to 30 minutes (5 to 10 minutes in mobile libraries)
- Time limits for PCs and iPads
- A library staff member will work as a concierge at the door to manage visitor numbers and enforce hand sanitising on entry
- All physical collections items (books, DVDs, CDs, Audiobooks) will undergo a 72 hour quarantine on return
- Some services and activities may be unavailable, including print newspapers, kids Play and Learn touchscreen PC’s and casual seating areas
Library visitors are asked to follow the direction of staff and signage in branches, and be respectful of the rules that are in place to keep everyone safe. For full details, visit the Geelong Regional Libraries Corporation website: grlc.vic.gov.au
Today, the Bannockburn Cultural Centre, The Well in Smythesdale and Meredith Community Centre reopened for allowed activities, with a maximum limit of 20 people in a single space. Some programs including exercise and group training classes are still restricted under the Victorian Government guidelines at this time. Social distancing and health and hygiene practises are in place, with additional cleaning protocols at the centres. Individuals or community groups with questions about booking the centres can call Council at 5220 7111.