Golden Plains growing strong
Golden Plains Shire continues to experience strong population growth according to new data released from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). The Shire is rated equal third fastest growing regional Council area in Victoria by percentage growth rate.
The Shire’s population grew by 2.7% between 2015-2016 to reach 21,929 people, an increase of 589 from the previous year. Over the past ten years the Shire has grown by 31.6% or 5,263 people.
Golden Plains affordable housing and proximity to Geelong and Ballarat has helped fuel this growth, with residents enjoying the Shire’s rural lifestyle and access to services.
New town population numbers are also available:
- Bannockburn’s population grew to 5,283 people (2016), with an annual growth rate of 8.5% per annum
- Between 2011 and 2016, Bannockburn grew by 34%, an increase of 1,771 people over the 5 year period
- Smythesdale’s population grew by 183 people to 1,032
- Teesdale grew by 241 people to 1,721, and
- Inverleigh’s population increased by 292 people to 1,474
More information on new release ABS data is available here