Be careful with your burn off
Because Fire Restrictions don’t apply until 19 December in Golden Plains Shire, residents may be tempted to light up their burn off pile to help clean up their property before summer really hits.
Local brigades have been kept busy this week chasing burn off piles fires that have escaped because the property owner had misjudged their ability to control the burn or they had not properly extinguished their fire.
Beware! Conditions have rapidly turned very dry in the southern part of the Shire and grass fuels are very ready to burn.
If you are going to light up your burn off pile:
- Notify your neighbours
- Call the CFA Burn Off Notification number 1800 668 511 and register your burn
- Make sure the ground is clear of flammable material around your burn pile
- Make sure that a responsible adult is in attendance at all times while the fire is alight and has the capacity and means to immediately extinguish the fire
- Make sure the fire is completely extinguished before the responsible adult leaves
- Don’t light your pile if it is hot and windy or the day following is going to be hot and windy
- Don’t forget to check your burn pile before you go to work in the morning to ensure that it is fully extinguished, the coals and ash are cold and there is no risk of it reigniting while you’re away.