BE ON ALERT FOR DODGY CONMEN
Consumer Affairs Victoria and Crime Stoppers Victoria are urging Victorians to be on alert for dodgy door-to-door tradespeople.
Summer represents the peak season for the con artists who offer cheap ‘today only’ cash deals on jobs such as roof repairs, driveway resurfacing and tree lopping. The dodgy tradies often leave behind substandard or unfinished work.
Over the 2015-16 financial year, Consumer Affairs Victoria received 149 complaints about travelling con men, with almost $437,000 in reported losses.
Consumer Affairs Victoria advises Victorians: if a travelling con man knocks on your door, ask them to leave. If they refuse, they are breaking the law. To report travelling con men, call 1300 133 408.
If you want work done on your house:
- be wary, particularly after disasters
- shop around for the quote that is right for you
- use established tradespeople who provide written quotes
- ask for contact details of previous clients, so you can check references
- do not sign any agreement until you are ready
- ask for the tradesman's full name and registration or licence details (if applicable) so you can check these with their industry authority
- ask for the business's number, so you can call to confirm whether the tradesman works for them.