Font Size
-A A +A
Search Search

2020/21 Rates Frequently Asked Questions

Share this:
Wednesday, 9 September 2020 - 4:45pm

With 2020/21 Rates Notices sent out last month, we’re answering some frequently asked questions on your rates.

Pensioner Discounts

Q: Do pensioners get a concession on council rates?

A: Yes, eligible pensioners do. The Victorian Government’s Pensioner Rates Assistance Scheme allows Councils to excuse up to a 50% deduction on rates up to a yearly maximum of $241 in 2020/21. To view the eligibility requirements, click here.


Q: How do I apply for the pensioner concession?

A: To apply for this concession, please contact our Rates team at 5220 7111. There is no need to re-apply if Council already has your details.


Q: Why hasn’t Council increased the pensioner concession more?

A: Council does not set or have any input into the pension concession. The amount is set and mandated by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services.

If you have questions about your individual situation, please contact our Rates Team at 5220 7111 for a confidential conversation.


Property Valuations

Q: Who does my property valuation?
A: Council does not value your property. Property valuations in every municipality in Victoria are undertaken independently by a Valuer appointed by the Victorian Government's Valuer-General.

Q: Why has my property been revalued this year?
A: Since 2019, the Valuer-General conducts property valuations every year, rather than every two years.

Q: I disagree with the valuation of my house, can I appeal the valuation?
A: Yes, you can. Property owners may appeal within 60 days of the date of issue on your initial rates notice. Contact our Rates team at 5220 7111 to discuss.


COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy

Q: How do I apply for rates relief under the COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy?

A: The COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy and application form can be downloaded here. If you have any questions about the form or applying, contact our Rates team at 5220 7111 for a confidential conversation.


Q: I run a business from home, am I still eligible for business support?

A: Yes, the measures for businesses applies for home-based businesses provided they meet the eligibility criteria of the COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy.


Q: I am not currently receiving JobKeeper or JobSeeker, am I eligible for any rates relief?

A: Depending on your personal situation, you may be eligible to receive up to $100 off your rates if you have experienced a 30% or more reduction in income. Please contact our Rates team at 5220 7111 for a confidential conversion regarding your exact circumstances.


How to pay your rates

Q: What are the different payment options?

A: There are three different payment options available in 2020/21: pay the full payment by 15 February, 2021; pay in four instalments, due at the end of September, November, February and May; or pay in 10 monthly direct debit payments, due on the 15th of each month from September to June.


Q: How do I pay my rates while Council’s Customer Service Centres are shut?

A: There are a number of other ways you can pay while our Customer Service Centres are closed for face-to-face visits due to COVID-19 restrictions. You can pay:

  • In person at an Australia Post Office
  • POST billpay online
  • Over the phone by calling 5220 7111
  • Online here
  • BPAY
  • Direct Debit

For more detail on payment methods, visit click here.


If you are facing financial difficulty, or need some more time to pay, please call our Rates team at 5220 7111 for a confidential conversation about what support is available and how to set up an individual payment plan.

For more information, and to register to view your Rates Notice online, click here.

Search All News

Latest Tweets

Related News

Rate this Page

Page Last Updated:

Wednesday, 9 September 2020 - 4:45pm


Council acknowledges the traditional Wadawurrung owners of this land. Council pays its respects to Wadawurrung Elders both past and present and extends that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People who are part of Golden Plains Shire.