Kerbside rubbish and recycling collection
Council's recycling and rubbish collection service will experience changes over the Easter period.
Recycling and rubbish bins normally collected on Good Friday (30 March) wil be collected on Saturday 31 March. Residents are advised that bins must be placed on the kerbside the evening before the scheduled collection.
All other scheduled collection days will remain unchanged during the Easter period.
Rokewood Transfer Station will not experience changes over the Easter period
Rokewood Transfer Station will be open on Easter Sunday (1 April) during the hours of 10am to 3pm
Waste Collection Services
Golden Plains Shire Council provides residents with a fortnightly waste service (240L bin) and a weekly recycling service (240L).
Click on the link below to identify your property and when your bin will be emptied. See below under 'Frequently Asked Questions' for a printable calendar.
Waste Service: Fortnightly
In Golden Plains Shire waste bins are collected fortnightly.
The Shire has 10 waste and recycling collection zones representing the 10 collection days of a fortnight.
For example, if you live in Bannockburn, your collection day is Monday and every Monday your recycle bin will be collected and every second Monday your waste bin will be collected.
Items that cannot be reused, recycled or composted, are to be placed in your waste bin which goes directly to landfill. Household waste should be bagged or wrapped to prevent spillage during the collection of the waste.
Typical acceptable items include:
- General household waste
- Broken window glass (wrapped)
- Crockery, ceramics
- Nappies (wrapped)
- Plastic bags
Recycling Service: Weekly
In Golden Plains Shire recycling bins are collected weekly.
- Keep recycling loose – do not bag materials
- All containers must be empty
- No need to rinse, just scrape clean
How to ensure your bin is collected correctly
- Place your bin out the night before your scheduled collection day. While Council and its contractor endeavour to maintain a consistent collection time, no guarantee is given that collection times will not change on the day. If your bin is not out for collection when the truck arrives, the truck will not return to collect a bin placed after collection.
- Place your bin with the handle facing towards your property, so the lid opens facing the road.
- Make sure your bin is not over full and that the lid is closed.
- No HARD WASTE should be placed in the garbage or recycling bin. Examples of hard waste include old tools, lawn mowers, refrigerators, timber, stoves, washing machines and other similar appliances, mattresses, electrical appliances, computers and TVs and old furniture.
- Bins can be damaged if overloaded and will not be collected if they are too heavy. A good indication of if your bin is too heavy, is if you cannot easily move or wheel your bin out for collection. A sticker will be placed on the bin if it was too heavy for collection
- Do not put any weight such as bricks on top of bin lids.
- Allow half a metre between bins and other objects – for example trees, lights and power poles and parked vehicles
Frequently Asked Questions
Supply of Waste and Recycling Bins
Residential properties will typically have two 240 litre bins, one for general waste and one for recyclables. Residents are responsible for keeping their bins in good condition and may have to pay for replacement bins where a bin has been lost, stolen or damaged.
New properties and tenants are required to purchase their bins, at a cost. Click on the link below to organise a new residential collection.
How do I apply for an extra bin?
If you are new resident or require a second waste or recycling bin, there is a charge for the bin and also an additional rate for a second collection.
A copy of the Occupancy Permit for any new dwelling must accompany the Application Form.
If the property is not sewered and has a Septic Tank System installed, a certificate to Use the Septic Tank System must be obtained prior to any Occupancy Permit being granted.
Who do I call?
Cleanaway for all collection service enquiries 1800 230 130
Call Council for all other waste and recycling enquiries 03 5220 7111 or email email@example.com
- 2017-2018 Request for New Service - Residential Property
- 2017-2018 Request for New Service - Commercial Property
- 2017-2018 Request for Second Service - Residential Property
- 2017-2018 Request for Additional Service/s - Existing Commercial Property
- 2017-2018 Compost Bin Request