Northern Settlement Strategy
Golden Plains Shire Council is developing a high-level land-use planning strategy for the northern half of the Shire.
The Northern Settlement Strategy will guide Council in determining sustainable areas in the northern half of the Shire to accommodate population growth to 2030.
The Strategy will provide:
- An updated Residential Land Supply for the northern part of the Shire;
- A Typology of Settlements as spatial expression of population distribution, settlement size and settlement role and;
- A planning framework for the location of development and encourage growth in those locations where there is the greatest opportunity to maximise benefit from existing infrastructure
Seven settlement profiles were developed for settlements and rural localities with residential land supply:
- Corindhap, Dereel, Illabarook, Rokewood
- Berringa, Cape Clear, Staffordshire Reef
- Cambrian Hill, Durham Lead, Garibaldi, Napoleons, Enfield
- Haddon, Nintingbool, Smythes Creek
- Linton, Happy Valley
- Meredith, Steiglitz
- Smythesdale, Scarsdale, Newtown
The Strategic Directions for each of the townships is summarised here.
The Strategy comprises of a Background and Issues Paper and Strategy document that will be available on Council’s webpage by late September 2018. The Strategy will provide a municipal approach to land use planning for the northern part of the Golden Plains Shire. It will guide the structure, function and character of the Shire’s settlements taking into account municipal, regional and state contexts and obligations.
In preparing the Northern Settlement Strategy Council has engaged with key stakeholders such as Powercor, Central Highland Water, VicRoads, and the Education Department and communities of the north at seven (7) locations. Council has undertaken an online survey, land use supply analysis, cost of settlement patterns analysis and audit of social and physical infrastructure to help inform the strategy. In August 2018, Council held information sessions at Napoleons and Smythesdale to present the key findings of the Northern Settlement Strategy.
What Happens Next
Once adopted by Council, the Northern Settlement Strategy will form part of an amendment to the Golden Plains Planning Scheme. The amendment process will incorporate formal exhibition of the strategy, providing an opportunity for submissions.
|4||DRAFT Strategy Refinement|