Activate the North
Thank you to all community members who provided feedback via surveys in early 2017. Please see below for key findings from the engagement.
Council is exploring how we can we can better support local sporting clubs and recreation groups to increase community participation in our major recreation facilities in the north of the Shire.
This project identified four priority facilities in the north: Haddon Recreation Centre, Linton Recreation Reserve, Ross Creek Recreation Reserve and the Woady Yaloak Recreation Reserve.
Feedback was collected from local residents and volunteer management groups using online surveys, with one survey focusing specifically on the experience of women and girls. A total of 38 individuals and 5 volunteer management groups filled in the survey. Council worked with Federation University students to analyse the information from these surveys and to prepare a marketing plan for facilities in the north.
Strengths: parking, accessibility, and Council support for volunteer management groups.
Areas for improvement: technology, equipment, disability facilities, toilets/change rooms, maintenance, first aid, female amenities, and inclusiveness.
Communication methods: online communication (website/social media), local newsletters, and word of mouth.
- Netball, Fitness/gym classes and walking were the most common activities undertaken by survey respondents
- Social, non-competitive activities such as Tai Chi, Gymnastics and fitness classes were identified as the activities respondents would like to see offered
- Preferred times to take part in activities include before and after work, and between 9am-11am
- Key barriers to participation include time availability, distance activities/reserves were from home, and cost
What Happens Next
Council will use this information to support local clubs and groups, state sporting associations, and health providers to address need and remove barriers in an effort to offer more suitable and available forms of activity that encourage people to get outdoors and active. Council will also use information regarding effective methods of communication to better promote opportunities and encourage physical activity.
- Women and girls survey: February - March 2017
- Northern facilities survey: April – May 2017
- Data analysis: July 2017
- Feedback to community: December 2017
- Implementation of recommendations: 2018