Committees Of Management
Section 86 Committees of Management
Established by Council with delegated responsibilities under Section 86 of the Local Government Act (1989) to directly manage facilities on behalf of Council.
It is important to note that:
- Lawful actions of the Section 86 Committees are in effect actions of the Council;
- Section 86 Committees do not need to be incorporated;
- Section 86 Committees are protected by insurance applicable to Council whilst undertaking their duties on behalf of Council; and
- Section 86 Committee members must be appointed by Council.
Council's Committees of Management oversee a range of facilities including recreation reserves, sporting stadiums, public halls, open space and native reserves.
The community is a Committee of Management's main client group. A good relationship with the community is an important part of ensuring that a facility is used, enjoyed, appreciated and developed by all. Golden Plains Shire encourages community involvement in the management and development of community facilities to ensure that community needs are met and that resources remain in the hands of the community.
By organising a group of interested people into a Committee, tasks such as managing facilities or organisations can be tackled effectively by: sharing information; sharing and developing ideas; sharing the work load; representing member organisations; planning and stimulating thought. Most importantly Committees make it possible for various views and interests to be considered before making decisions.
The size of local Committees of Management differs. Councils Section 86 Committees of Management should refer to their Instrument of Delegation for further details.
Committee of Management Resource Manual
The purpose of the Committee of Management Resource Manual is to provide an overview to good governance and operational issues for members of a Committee of Management, whether starting out on a Committee or as a long term member.
The Manual acknowledges:
- The responsibilities of Special Committees of Council (or Section 86 Committees);
- The skills and resources required to ensure the successful operation of community facilities; and
- The need for greater support from Council.
The eight key sections of the Committee of Management Resource Manual are available for download below in pdf format.
Committee of Management Forms
The following list of forms has been developed to assist Committees of Management with their regular operations. Forms are available in PDF or Word format.
Further support and assistance with any matter is available from the Community Services Department of the Golden Plains Shire Council. Click here to submit your enquiry.